I first discovered that the machine was broken when I spotted a facebook update from my wife
One evening a few days later I took the back off the machine to try and diagnose what the problem was. In this I was assisted by the advice on various forums - found by doing a Google Search.
Advent of wifi and tablet means of course that I was able to stand over the opened machine, iPad in hand, reading the forum posts and looking at wiring diagrams.
Following advice on the forums was able to check that the 3 thermostats were all OK (who'd have thought there'd be that many). So deduced that it was most likely a problem with the element.
Later that evening, iPad in hand once more, sitting on the sofa I search for suppliers of spare parts. Light upon a supplier on eBay who seems to offer a good price and has lots of good feedback (score of 291617 and so few negative comments that they show a 100% positive rating!)
Part duly ordered I wait a couple of days and it is delivered to me.
Today I open the machine up again to replace the element. Once I have it opened I can take a quick photo
of the situation as I find it (iPad again) before I start undoing any wires.
Remove the old element and start fitting the new one - referring to the nice big photo on my iPad to ensure that I have things right - discover I don't and rejig to get it right.
Close everything up and test all is well and as an added bonus thanks to @davenice I have a suggestion on what to do with the old one.
... and to round things off I blog about the whole thing !