Thursday 12 November 2009

Governor day in school

For just over a year now I have been a parent governor at Henry Beaufort School in Winchester. Given my other interests and career it is perhaps not surprising that as well as being a member of the full governing body I am also on the Finance & Premises Committee and the "attached governor" for ICT.

Today all the governors were invited to come and spend a day in the school and I'm glad I took the offer up.

First up was a discussion with the Senior Leadership Team about their varied roles and the huge range of initiatives and activities that they are involved with.

Over the course of the rest of the day I got to .....

- Have a tour round the school with 2 of the year 11 "Student Leaders" including a chance to see the new all weather pitch up close.

- Spend time with the ICT teachers and see a range of lessons in progress in the various IT suites including the very swish Apple Mac equipped media suite. As part of this I got to talk with a number of the students about what they were doing.

- Have a very nice cottage pie in the Bistro

- Sit in on a vertical tutoring session

- See the Student Council in action helping to provide feedback to the staff for use at a future inset day.

- Experience the general ebb and flow of the school day

We finished the day discussing our thoughts and reflections on what we had seen and done.

I never cease to be amazed at the enormous breadth of activities that there are at the school and the ability and quality of work being produced by many of the students I saw seemed superb. What will stick with me longest though is the outstanding maturity of the discussion I heard in the Student Council meeting. The way the students were able to express their own point view, listen to others with different thoughts and collectively discuss the topic was simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment